If you're in the market for West Maui real estate, it's likely that you've been charmed by several of its finest features. There's the breathtaking natural beauty, the wide variety of restaurants, a collection of gorgeous beaches that seem to go on forever, and the unparalleled luxury real estate and resorts. What better place to enjoy rest and relaxation in style than at your new home in West Maui? But there's a whole lot more to enjoy than these obvious favorite features. So, let's talk about the adventurous activities that are at your fingertips as a West Maui resident.
1. Whale Watching - Some of the best whale watching in the world can be enjoyed off the coast of West Maui, where humpbacks gather en masse to breed and give birth to the next generation of calves. They begin to arrive as early as late October and stay through the winter, with the last whales departing in May. Conveniently, several whale watching charters can be booked out of Lahaina Harbor.
2. Ziplining - Maui is an amazing place for ziplining, and is in fact the birthplace of the very first zipline. As you can imagine, there are several courses to choose from. Whether you're in the Lahaina, Kaanapali or Kapalua areas, you'll find ziplines. Take your pick!
3. Surfing - West Maui's shorelines provide a variety of surf spots with conditions ideal for beginner, intermediate and advanced surfers. There are a number of surf schools and private teachers on the island, many of whom operate in West Maui. So, if this is something you always wanted to learn, this is an ideal location.
4. Horseback Riding - Exploring the land on horseback can be a real delight, especially for those who love animals. Choose between Lahaina Stables in Lahaina, and Ironwood Ranch in Kapalua.
5. Hiking - Here in West Maui, you can find a variety of trails, including easy hikes like Village Walking Trails and Kapalua Coastal Trail, both of which run in proximity to the breathtaking Pacific. A local favorite is Dragon's Teeth in Kapalua, which brings you to the scenic Makaluapuna Point.
6. Parasailing - This exciting ocean activity is an exhilarating way to get a whole new perspective on the beautiful scenery of Maui. Just keep in mind that it is offered only during the months when the humpbacks are no longer in the waters surrounding our shores. Namely, summer.
7. SCUBA/Snorkeling - There's nothing quite like exploring the vibrant coral reefs off West Maui with a snorkeling or SCUBA excursion. If you're new to this kind of underwater activity, snorkeling is a good way to start. If you're a bit more confident in the water, Maui is a terrific place to learn how to SCUBA dive. If you have your open water certification, there are several charters that will take you out to some magnificent dive sites.
8. Kayaking - This is a great way to take in the sights of the ocean, the island, and the marine life that lives in the waters off the West Maui coastline. Depending on where you go kayaking, you can spot turtles, humpback whales, fish, and maybe even dolphins. Conditions tend to be best in the morning, when the water is clear and calm. You can either rent a kayak, go out on a tour that provides one, or just buy one so you can use it whenever you want!
9. Golfing - West Maui is home to some of the finest golf courses in Hawaii, including the Royal Ka'anapali Golf Course, Ka'anapali Kai Course, The Bay Course at Kapalua, and The Plantation Course at Kapalua Bay. Just be prepared for some distractingly beautiful scenery.
10. Lahaina Second Friday - Not all adventures have to be outdoorsy! If you feel like enjoying some upbeat night life, make your way into Lahaina Town on the second Friday of any month. Maui has adopted a relatively new tradition of hosting town parties, and these festive gatherings have picked up a lot of steam because they're great fun! There will usually be live music and performances, along with food booths and street vendors. Sometimes the businesses in the area will offer special deals, too.
We hope this list of activities adds some inspiration to your West Maui real estate search. There are so many possibilities when it comes to your island lifestyle choices, sometimes it's nice to be reminded of some of them. And there are certainly more that could be added to this list! We're happy to pass on tips for our favorite ways to enjoy the island, and if you need assistance with your real estate search, we're happy to help with that, too! Mahalo!
Fantastic Local Food to Enjoy on Maui
Buying Maui real estate comes with an endless list of perks, not least of which is the food. Whether you've just bought a new Maui home, or you're planning to, chances are good that you'll spend a fair amount of time on… Continue Reading
The data for the Maui real estate market in 2017 is finally complete, and we get to look at the big picture for the year to get a better idea of what we can expect from 2018. According to… Continue Reading
If you're in the market for West Maui real estate, it's likely that you've been charmed by several of its finest features. There's the breathtaking natural beauty, the wide variety of restaurants, a collection of gorgeous beaches that seem to go on… Continue Reading
According to the latest preliminary report from the Hawaii Tourism Authority, November saw increases in visitor arrivals and spending, compared to the same month last year. In an economy driven by the visitor industry, this kind of data often factors into choices made by investors… Continue Reading